Re: regarding the (gcc) bug no 206715

Why is this in -curiosa?

>>>>> "Petrisor" == Petrisor Marian <marian.petrisor@siemens.com> writes:

Petrisor> I was wondering, since gcc 2.95 till gcc 1:3.3.1-0pre0 did the
Petrisor> standards change?  Since I managed to compile the kernel
Petrisor> source with that version of the gcc, I think they did !?!?!?

The gcc 3 series is more strict with enforcing standards than the 2
series was.  If the kernel fails to compile, most of the time, it's a
kernel bug.  The kernel contains many gcc-isms.  The developers say
that even if it compiles under the latest gcc, it may not work
correctly.

Petrisor> So, now how can I write multiple instructions in asm so that
Petrisor> gcc 1:3.3.1-0pre0 could say is ok?

Petrisor> I am not in front of my debian machine now to check this, but
Petrisor> I don't think the guys that maintain the kernel will just
Petrisor> remove the asm files. So, Will I be able to compile kernel
Petrisor> 2.4.21 with gcc 1:3.3.1-0pre0?

2.4.20 has those lines changed.  My 2.4.20 was compiled with gcc
3.something, and it seems to be working fine.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA