Re: Oh well :)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:48:59PM -0600, Cesar Rincon scribbled:
[snip]
> > there are better ways of drawing attention - for example to make a honest
> > comparison of the bugs found in all the products he mentions that reaches
> > back to the beginnings of each product :) THAT would be a huge work (if
> > possible at all) and it would surely get recognized ;)
>
> You said it yourself: huge work.  Not compatible at all with the "quick
> cash" concept.
At least it would be interesting... :)

> > Actually, the load after slashdotting isn't that high. I saw a test
> > somewhere that stated the load to be ~1Mb/s. I was slashdotted my self
> > several years ago when I wrote a web server in shell script - believe it or
> > not, the little thing was able to handle the visits from the /. readers :)
>
> That sounds extremely cool.  Can I get it?
Sure, http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/cstein/Packages/weblet.htm -
somebody took it up and put it to actual use. I wrote it to win a bet that
it's possible to write such a server. Together with mine another server was
slashdotted - that one was much more interesting, because it was written
in... PostScript :) (and there was one written in AWK, IIRC)

> You should package it for Debian :-)
Naah, it's a toy written in one hour :) Although Charles Steinkuehler added
even CGI support to it. People can do amazing things, indeed :)

marek