Re: canned peach Unsubscription

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:04:29AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:34:27AM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > I wonder if there's something about the word "Debian" that makes
> > people think it's something totally different from what it really is.
> > debian-curiosa... curiosities pertaining to Debia... who/what/where is
> > Debia? Sounds vaguely classical; maybe it refers to some group of
> > ancient Greeks noted for a particular perversion. Maybe it means
> > people who do rude things with peach juice?
> >
> > The thing that struck me about this particular spam was that
> > disclaimer thing saying that under some US law it couldn't be
> > considered spam because it had a click-to-unsubscribe link. Surely
> > that can't be true?
> >
> > I preferred the one offering wet blue cows, several metres square but
> > really thin... brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "and now,
> > adding colour... a group of anonymous Latin-American meat-packing glitterati".
>
> I believe they always refer to bill number such and such, since none of
> those idiotic proposed bills that would let them get away with something
> that silly have been passed, but they hope that by mentioning a bill
> maybe people won't hate them as much.

"Did they expect us to treat them with any respect?"

Well, it was a new one on me... thanks to spambayes, it's very rare
for me to actually read a spam these days!

> More interesting question is:  Who is the moron that keeps subscribing
> all the debian lists to this idiotic mailing list?
>
> There is something to be said for subscriber only posts to mailing
> lists.

It looks like the idiotic list's subscription mechanism doesn't
require a confirmation email to be answered, or anything like that, so
it's wide open for abuse.

Thanks to the listmasters, who have now blacklisted that list.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons