Gnomes/Elves in Dual-boot on laptop

I have this Sony Vaio pcg-505tr, and it had Windows 98 on it. Two or three weeks ago I decided to repartition the drive so that Windows gets 2 or 2.5 GB, and Debian will get the rest.

After installing Windows, it boots up fine and everything.
I partition the other 4GB or so for Debian, and Windows still boots fine after this.

I then install Debian from boot-floppies, get it all setup, and Windows decides to forget where himem.sys is located. Whatever. Debian is good enough for everything I do anyways, so it wasn't that big of a deal to lose Windows. I left the partition intact in case I could figure it out in the future.

So in Debian, I have fluxbox and it worked out well for the past few weeks.

Then last night, after shutting down my machine because my class decided to move to a different room, I start it up, and every time Debian tries to startx, it freezes the machine up and I have to manually reboot, which stinks because I have ext2 partitions and haven't gotten around to converting them to ext3.

Well after trying to get Debian to start up a few times unsuccessfully, I decide to try to boot into Windows for the first time in two weeks. Whaddya know? It worked! (??)

So here I am in class with Windows, which finally figured out that it had himem.sys all along but now X or something wasn't working.

After class, I go home, and after awhile I decide to try to do homework. I start up Debian....and it works! (????)

I rebooted, started up Windows, and it works!

So the dual boot configuration I created two or three weeks ago finally decided to start working correctly yesterday.

Which goes to show that some mythical creature has to be inside every computer...or at least just mine.

-Gianfranco