Re: Boulder Pledge

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:05:29AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> That's a problem with your MUA, not with HTML per se. Once widely-used
> MUAs are sufficiently up to the task of dealing with HTML, this is
> likely to change.

Enough with the "that's a MUA problem, not an HTML problem" mantra.
It sounds no different to me than an MS zealot saying that inability
to read Word documents is a MUA problem as his response to every
argument offered for why sending Word docs is bad form.

> If there are lots of images or tables involved, then yes, this will make
> things harder. Normal text, however, is not a problem. Last time I
> checked, most HTML email (except for stuff sent by companies, who are
> trying to make themselves look 'professional' with their extravagant
> HTML) consists of normal text, laid out in the same way as a plain text
> email, but perhaps with some bulleted lists or such.

- So you're admitting that most (legitimate) HTML mail doesn't do
  anything that plain text can't?  Then why add the overhead?

- Bulleted lists, hmm?  And here I always thought you could do them
  just fine in plain ASCII...

> > It was impossible.  Couldn't be done.  You had to execute a
> > program first.  That fact is no longer true.  And not only that, but
> > it's gotten worse.  E-mail based viruses, utilizing HTML, JavaScript,
> > VBScript, and holes in the HTML rendering engines required to view
> > HTML
> > e-mail have become among the fastest growing and most damaging virii.
>
> Interestingly, you forget to note that only Microsoft Outlook is
> affected by any of them. As much as you may think otherwise, this is an
> Outlook problem, not an HTML or JavaScript problem. Otherwise, Mozilla
> would have the same problems when viewing Web pages.

Perhaps the propagating ones are Outlook (Express)-only, but there
are other problems.  Pretty much all of the privacy-invasion
techniques (web bugs, etc.) are pure-HTML applications, for instance.

> So, you'd prefer to have 16 million Tripod-originated pop-under ads
> instead?

That's a problem with Tripod, not a problem with emailing links.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that