Re: Debug your Code, or Else!

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 07:13:50PM +0100, Hereward Cooper wrote:
> As on /. :
>
> http://wwwzenger.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/persons/huckle/bugse.html
>
> A collection of famous software bugs that have caused large scale
> disasters including the explosion of the Ariane 5 rocket due to integer
> overflow and the misfiring of a US Patriot missile that caused 28 deaths
> because of accumulated floating point error.

Actually it was a fixed point issue I believe.  24 bit used to store 0.1
in fixed point multiplied by number of tenth of seconds since boot to
get number of seconds since boot.  Apparently the patch took much less
than a day to do since it was so simple to fix (part of the code was
fixed, other parts were not, and hence didn't simply cancel out either.)

Lennart Sorensen