Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 07:29:12PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> I unfortunately don't have that luxery. My users demand too-new versions
> of things... I think if I left it up to them, they'd run unstable on the
> servers.

My users can make requests, and if their request is reasonable, I will
try to back port it.  Most software runs on workstations though, and
hence is irrelevant on the servers.

> Potato has too old versions of things to be of much use on a bunch of
> the servers. They have run woody for a few months now. I have to track
> security updates myself.

I agree with potato being way out of date for some things.  I upgrade a
few things myself to deal with that.  I would rather have a working
stable release than a broken one though.

> I'd be very happy with a faster release schedule. The web work I admin
> for requires it. A year would be much better for a lot of people.

I am sure people would love to do it, if anyone could come of with a way
to make it happen.  Do you know how to force people to fix bugs?  Should
you even consider forcing volunteers to do so?

> That's a rather low blow. DeadPhat still does security updates for 6.2,
> for example.

Sure they do.  They just don't provide them for 7.0, 7.1 or 7.2, only
7.3.  It seems they only support the last of every major release series.

Len Sorensen