Re: High density text on console

> > graphics-based.  Look at fb/vesafb.txt.gz instead.  You can also try
> > the tridentfb driver, but I think it is brand new and not stable yet.

And with the speed of tridents, pushing molasses through a drinking straw
might be faster.

I played around with SVGATextMode.

Tried my trident, an S3 Virge 375, a matrox Millenium, and an ATI Rage II
based card.  I'd try a nice new card, but this old pentium 120 doesn't
have AGP.

None of them can push a high enough pixel clock, to drive the monitor.

> I use framebuffers on the console at 1864x1400 in 60 Hz, and (more
> often) 1600x1200 at 60 Hz. I prefer to waste real screen estate on a
> nice font though (Sun12x22).

I think I'm going to hit my monitor limit, this is a 14", that runs ...
well, walks, at 1024x768 on a good day.

Even with a better monitor substituted(15" TTX 8570), I still can't get
the pixel clock.

Any bigger of a monitor defeats the purpose of this, which is to make my
text even smaller.

I suspect I should find a non-technological solution to people wandering
in my office and reading my screen and bothering me while I'm trying to
work.

Thanks for the help though,

Mike