More Email Stats

After some more digging, I have added up some numbers - please correct me if I'm wrong:

I subscribe to four lists, curiosa, news, sparc and doc. Those lists alone have a total of 17061 members.

Given that most spam seems to arrive four times, my count of 142 messages, leaves ~35 messages per list since October 10, or about 288 K per list.

There are 212 debian lists, of which there are 161 debian-* lists. 26 lists are marked "REMOVED".

Over all the lists (except REMOVED ones) there are 121676 members.

If all lists are spammed evenly - which I cannot verify - then lists.debian.org has sent out 4258660 spam messages (121676 x 35) since October 10 or about 35042688 Kb or 34221.38 Mb or 33.42 Gb of data to its subscribers. (Which also gets archived onto the mail archives.)

In Australia data transfer is charged at ~ 18c/Mb, or AUD$ 6159.85 or about USD$ 3079.92.

That's a lot of money for an organisation that depends on donations.

Note that some lists are closed, in-active, etc. I have just attempted to quantify the problem.
--
()/)/)()	..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?		..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---	..Morse for Onno..