Re: Debian Centre of Mass

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:01:23AM +0200, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2001 bounce-debian-curiosa=tillea=rki.de@lists.debian.org wrote:
>
> > Not that I had ever been to either Greenland or Iceland, but I think
> > it would be a bit dangerous to extrapolate from Iceland experiences to
> > Greenland ones.
> For sure, but it is a known fact that you are able to swim in water as
> long it is fluid ;-).

 s/fluid/liquid/.  Fluid includes the gas phase.  I don't really call
walking around (or falling through!) in water vapour "swimming".

> > Incidentally, the line where the average temperature at the surface is
> > zero degree Celcius in January goes just below Iceland, meaning that
> > the wintertemperature north of that (and thus including Greenland) is
> > lower (the atlas is from 1977 so the data may be inaccurate in the case
> > of global warming).
> The global warming not necessarily means that it will be warmer in the
> region we talk about.  I recently read an article that global warming
> changes the amount of salt in this region which makes the gulf stream
> stop.  This would have the consequence of a *colder* climate in Europe
> because of the global warming - well all is theory but you can?t draw
> such linear assumtions on complex systems.

 right.  Climate change, not just small uniform temp increases, are
what we are looking at.  Even the opponents of global-warming theory
would be hard-pressed to argue that the climate is not changing even
if they maintain that it isn't getting warmer over all.  Nasty Stuff
like the North American prairies (i.e. the breadbasket of Canada) is
apparently predicted to turn into a dustbowl 20 or 30 years down the
road.  I guess we'll need some serious irrigation...  (Canada hardly
does any irrigating compared with what US farmers do, or so I hear.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y