Re: [curiosa] Re: Debian Centre of Mass

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 12:11:56PM +0200, Philipp Meier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:57:33AM +0200, vdongen wrote:
> > Kelvin is based on the kinetic energy, which is 1/5 mv^2.
> > to get a negative K you need a negative m since a negative v will also
> > result in a positive kinetic energy.
> > Since anti-mass has been proofed, negative K is possible without
> > Irrational numbers or complex numbers.
>
> Does anti-matter really has m < 0?

 No, it still has positive mass.  Mass is unlike other particle
properties, in that antiparticles still have the same amount, instead
of the negative amount.  Negative mass <-> negative energy, and all
particles, anti or not, have positive energy.  (some have zero rest
energy, like the photon, but they cease to exist if they ever stop
moving.)

 I read something about relativity and negative energy, and how lots
of it would be needed to keep a wormhole open.  Weird stuff...  I
don't know if anyone has shown that negative energy can't exist.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y