Re: A good charge against free operating systems

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:03:06AM +0100, Frédéric Aguiard scripsit:
>...snip...
> You can't ask a secretary to understand all the complexity of a linux
> system. You can't even ask her to use a shell, nor anything like vi or latex
> or anything else. This is not HER job. She just needs a tool, a tool
> providing her what she needs for her daily work, a tool that does not break
> up in her hands while just using basis functions, nor doing something
> reasonably foolish.
> I, as a computer engineer, can understand most of the subtle technical

 This is bullshit. Classical from head-inflated engineer to despise of
'secretary' as unable to understand the wonderful things they do oh
soooooooo weeeeeeeeeeellllll.

 First, I do not think that using LaTeX, at least sticking to standard
features or some fixed style sheet is something exceeding the capacity
of someone who can understand the intricacies of word or excel, who
keep completely changing the GUI with each release.

 Second, which is a 'tool that does not break up in her hands while
just using basis functions'??? Are you speaking about Microsoft
products? Then, look again. They break _all_the_time_> But as you
are an exalted computer engineer you probably doesn't handle the
problems the humble and lowest secretaries have with their tools...

--
Leo TheHobbit