Re: Boulder Pledge

On Mit, 2003-01-29 at 01:23, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:46:47PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder said:
> >
> > Mailreaders should always do what we want them to. Debian should release
> > more frequently. Opensource projects should all use totally patent-free
> > code. Computers should just work. Everybody should just be nice. There
> > should not be any wars. I should have a lot of money. The world should
> > belong to me.
> >
> > See what I mean?
>
> Yes; you think that expecting a mail reader to display RFC 822
> compliant emails is unreasonable, and that calling one "broken"
> if it doesn't may hurt the feelings of the developer, when
> instead we should be trying to be sensitive to his needs as a
> person, right?

Wrong. I just say that saying things with lots of 'should have' in it
doesn't change the world. Software that was written stays written - yes,
in most cases it should have been done differently, I agree with you,
but that's not something we can change. We can change how the software
works now - we can't change how it has been written.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Available for key signing in Zürich and Basel, Switzerland
                     (what's this? Look at http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/intro)