Re: survival skills for teenage geeks

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 12:38, Paul Baker wrote:
> My religion teacher (at my Catholic HS) said that most likely what
> really happened was that Mary was rapped by a guard or other government
> official which was very common for that time. But now if that story was
> passed down through the ages it wouldn't make the birth of Jesus sound
> magical enough for him to actually be the son of God. So it was changed
> to a supernatural birth by the virgin Mary.

You would think that Joseph had the sense to verify her claims of
virginity. So if Mary was indeed raped or otherwise uninterestingly
impregnated, the story must have been altered over time.

By the way, there's no rule that says that Jesus wasn't the son of God
simply because he was conceived by two humans. If God has the power to
create the universe, then surely (s)he can alter a fertilized egg
appropriately.

Alex.

--
PGP Public Key: http://aoi.dyndns.org/~alex/pgp-public-key