Re: debian-trivia

On Monday 06 January 2003 22:54, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 06:02:58AM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> > Perhaps it's high time dpkg received some serious optimization. The way
>
> apt-get is also really slow on slow hardware, and it already has binary
> cache files I think.

Hmm, at least in the scenario I described above doing an apt-get something
results in apt-get needing at most a few minutes (actually it might even
still be seconds) and dpkg taking hours to complete due to the crazy
swapping.  (the latter might have also something to do with the 2.4.15-pre2
kernel running on that machine, which was IIRC the first kernel with the new
vm subsystem, but still, even if it took only a tenth of the time it would
still be unbearably slow...)

Cheers,
Yven

--