Re: Russian Rulette for Debian Developers?

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 10:59:43PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 21:52, Mako Hill wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 07:46:53PM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:
> > > Just a thought:
> > > How does russian rulette for Debian Developers work?
> [...]
> > According to the definition of the game that I found that matches the
> > one I remember[1], what you'd need is a script that takes a revocation
> > certificate as an argument, and then makes the decision to send it or
> > not, weighted 5:1 in favor of not sending it.
> >
> > Pretty horrible idea but I'd laugh if I saw the (really rather
> > trivial) script... until someone actually tried it and lost.
>
> Hmmm. I would really like it if Debian would come with the
> russian-roulette package. Because (i) Linux is all about "let them shoot
> their own foot (or head) if they want". And (ii) because somebody *will*
> try it and lose (read Terry Pratchett? What will wizards do when they
> see a butten labeled with 'Reset the Universe. Don't push this
> button!'). Yes, I'll gladly be the asshole and deal with the complaints
> :-/

You can deal with the casualties of the script at the end of this then.
You can do whatever you like with it, anyone can. I don't want to clean
up the mess.

> (Hmm. How will it end when I'm writing such things right on the first
> day of the year???)

Untested Russian roulette key revocation script (I'm not about to test
the thing, are you?).

#!/bin/bash
# Russian roulette with gpg keys
# roulette keyid revocation-certificate

# the chambers, 1 in 6 chances of being loaded
# head spins the chambers, grep is the trigger

head -c1 /dev/urandom | grep [a-zA-Q]

# and the exit status of grep is the bullet

then
  gpg --import $2
  gpg --send-keys $1
fi