Re: Is an MBF and unblock for packages introducing new files in /bin or /sbin or /lib in Bookworm acceptable at this stage?

On Mon, 22 May 2023 at 22:13, Étienne Mollier <emollier@debian.org> wrote:

> Luca Boccassi, on 2023-05-22:

> > >     Luca> On Mon, 22 May 2023 at 20:22, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
> > >     >>
> > >     >> >>>>> "Luca" == Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org> writes:
> > >     >>
> > >     Luca> Hello Release Team, If we were to do a MBF against packages
> > >     Luca> that in _Bookworm_ have introduced new files in /bin, /sbin or
> > >     Luca> /lib*, would you accept the consequent mass unblock request?
> > >     Luca> I am asking beforehand as there's no point in going through
> > >     Luca> the effort if you don't, the advantage is only if we can sort
> > >     Luca> it before Bookworm ships, and the bugs would become invalid
> > >     Luca> and be closed as soon as it does as per moratorium otherwise.
> > >     >>
> > >     >> This sounds like a really bad idea.  While technically this is
> > >     >> consistent with the TC's advice, what you are proposing to do
> > >     >> increases the chance that you're going to trigger the dpkg
> > >     >> disappearing file bug.
> > >     >>
> > >     >> Consider:
> > >     >>
> > >     >> * User installs version from testing with file in /bin *
> > >     >> Maintainer quickly moves the file to /usr/bin per your MBF *
> > >     >> Bookworm releases; user does not upgrade at this point * Package
> > >     >> reorganization; file moves between packages * User upgrades; file
> > >     >> disappears
> > >
> > >     Luca> What "package reorganization" would that be? Are you aware of
> > >     Luca> any such thing happening in the next couple of weeks before
> > >     Luca> release?
> > >
> > > Who said anything about next couple of weeks.  This affects testing and
> > > unstable users *after the release*.  It is my experience of Debian that
> > > outside of freezes package reorganizations happen regularly.
> >
> > So what you are worried is the combination of a testing installation
> > from~one year ago, that is otherwise never touched for say another
> > year, and also that has one of those 23 packages installed in the old
> > version, and also that same package of those 23 gets rearranged? That
> > seems vanishingly unlikely,
>
> Against all odds, I can see very well this happening, so I guess
> it shouldn't hurt to flag somehow packages having had to proceed
> per the MBF.  Big "warning" comments at a few strategic points
> in d/control and install files might probably be a bare minimum,
> so team fellows or future self won't trip on the carpet when
> tempted to reorganize files.

In case such an update is a supported use case, then yes, adding a
comment to the install file where the change is applied would make
perfect sense, as that's where it would be hypothetically removed from
in that example.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi