Re: merged-usr

On Tue, 13 Sep 2022 at 12:57:28 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> # debootstrap --no-merged-usr unstable foo ...
> # chroot foo dpkg -l usr-is-merged|grep ^ii
> ii  usr-is-merged  30           all          Transitional package to assert a merged-/usr system
> On the other hand: WTH?

I assume your "WTH" was at a non-merged-/usr chroot having the usr-is-merged
metapackage?

As I pointed out when I was asked to review the debootstrap change[1],
this is actually correct, but it's not at all obvious that it's correct.
The usr-is-merged metapackage is arguably misnamed: its actual semantics
are that the system is on the "new" side of the merged-/usr transition
(either the /usr-like directories have been merged into /usr, or that
merge has deliberately been avoided in a way that will become unsupported
with the release of bookworm, either of which makes it unnecessary to
install the usrmerge package and its non-trivial dependencies).

But that's quite a lot to express in a package name, renaming it would
require another trip through NEW, and in the only scenario that is
intended to be supported beyond bookworm release day, its name is
accurate; so its current name seems close enough to the truth.

    smcv

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debootstrap/-/merge_requests/71/#note_324399