Re: CTTE requesting questions for DebConf20 BoF

Hi Holger!

On 2020-07-27 20:23, Holger Levsen wrote:
In general I liked what I read, I just have a question or maybe two...

Thanks!

**Proposal 2**: Explicitly delegate the mediation task for solving
social conflict between developers, when no code-of-conduct violation is
in place.  This could be to:

a. A new group of developers
b. The Community Team
c. The Technical Committee.

which of the three options does the tech-ctte (roughly) prefer?

This is a great question and I hope we'll find the answer to this during the BoF.

Allow design work
-----------------
**Proposal 3**: Modify the Constitution to allow the TC to do design
work in the form of proposals. These proposals wouldn't override
developers or tell individual maintainers what to do, but rather should
guide the project towards a technical goal.

I'm continued to be puzzled about this. Clearly you are all individuals,
why don't you do design work as individuals?

A few people have asked about this already and I think it's my fault for
not explaining this correctly in the text. We can of course do design work
as individuals. The prohibition from doing design work becomes a problem
when the TC is forced to make a decision using the committee's powers and
none of the available options are deemed good enough (this happened, for
example, in our discussion of the maint-scripts issue). We are asked a
question but we can't "rule" and so we can't answer the question.

If we _could_ do design work, then we would be able to bring forward a
proposal rather than have to say "we decline to rule because there are
no good options", which is kinda washing our hands. Does that make sense?

I think I'll try to amend the text in Salsa to clarify this.

--
Regards,
Marga