Re: Concluding "What should happen when maintscripts fail to restart a service?"

Sean Whitton dijo [Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 02:36:05PM +0100]:
> My reading of the conclusion to #904558 is that the recommendation to
> form a working group is a recommendation that can be directed only to
> the developer body as a whole, not to the Policy process.  That's
> because actually implementing in the archive some new mechanism for
> maintscripts is a prerequisite to any Policy change requiring packages
> to use that new mechanism.  In other words, what the working group would
> be tasked with doing is beyond the scope of the Policy process.  We do
> design work as part of the Policy process, but we don't write code.
>
> Assuming that the T.C.'s recommendation is the right way to proceed
> here, and someone doesn't come up with any other way to unblock things,
> the wontfix+stalled status will remain until and unless the working
> group actually forms, designs and implements something, and starts using
> it in the archive.  There is no role for the Policy process (and thus no
> role for the Policy Editors qua Policy Editors) until that occurs.
>
> So, by all means insist on the recommendation, but so far as I can tell
> that's something which does not involve either the Policy process or the
> T.C., but simply the body of Debian contributors qua contributors.

I completely agree with you - My idea to kickstart this at DC19 is not
for TC and Policy Editors leading a session, but rather us (as
individuals) expressing the issue at a BoF trying to get more eyeballs
(and, more important, more brains) on it.

> Stepping back a bit, tagging this bug wontfix+stalled is part of the
> broader attempts, in which the Policy Editors are engaged, to more
> sharply delineate the boundaries of the Policy process.  We want to get
> to the point where the only bugs that we have listed are either
> highly actionable, or tagged wontfix.  For a bug to be highly actionable
> is for it to be the case that someone with enough time and background
> knowledge can sit down, think through the problem, and come up with at
> least a first version of a change proposal.
>
> I think that a large number of very-difficult-to-action bugs strongly
> discourages people from getting involved.  It makes Policy seem like a
> sprawling, unmanageable morass of difficult problems.  That isn't how
> things are, because while there are indeed a lot of hard problems, they
> are largely independent of each other, and tackling individual
> debian-policy bugs really does improve Debian.  However, it is much
> harder to see that when half of the open bugs are more than five years
> old yet not tagged wontfix.

Right. This is a bug where I was quite happy that the TC decided to
declare it outside of its functions - And it is just fitting that it's
outside the Policy as well. We don't have a commonly implemented
practice to document / show / follow. This should go to the developer
body at large.