Re: bastardizing packages or stepping down

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 10:46:26AM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > I didn't see any request to make sure the chroots are updated.
> > Not having read the whole thing, would this solve your problem?
>
> We have 2015, we even have snapshot aware filesystems to make it safe.
> Why for gods sake is this still a manual task?

Could someone who is more familiar with this point out why this isn't
the case, and whether code would make it better?

I know for my buildd setup, I just have sbuild update the chroots before
building, but perhaps there are architectures where the disk is so slow
that this would be prohibitive?

If so, it should be possible to take out a lock to prevent new sbuild
processes on an lvm source chroot, update the source, and then remove
the lock. But maybe there are buildds which aren't using lvm?

Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their
faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord
Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a
12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges.
 -- Terry Pratchet _Mort_