Soften the the wording recommending menu files: let's do it in Jessie.

[dropping #727708 as it is getting off-topic]

Le Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 12:22:44PM +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :

> Our menu arrangements have been unsatisfactory for some time and I for
> one would certainly be open to change.  Now is probably not the right
> time for this, but maybe after we've dealt with the init system
> question, you'd like to write up a summary of the situation, and
> propose a transition plan.  If the policy editors don't see it your
> way this is certainly something that the TC should be interested in.

Hello Sune and Ian,

The current state of #707851 (‘Soften the wording recommending menu files’) is
that the proposition of Sune and Ian got a positive echo from two Policy
editors.  We then lost momentum, and while Bill's criticism of XDG menu
specification had chilling effects on me, reading again the thread, I do not
see a black-on-white refusal of the core of the proposal itself, and to be fair
I need to say that the final reason why I have not pushed this work further is
the lack of stimulating replies to the wording reshaped by Russ and me.  I
should have been more active and ping directly the participants of the
discussion.

Let's take it positively: with a bit of support (something like "seconded,
thank you") from the proponents of the change, we can move #707851 to
acceptance or to a clear definition of what is considered consensus-breaking,
in case there is a precise and unresolvable opposition to some of the changes.

As the maintainer of the mime-support package I have some interset in #707851
and now that I stepped down as a Policy editor, I do not need to be as neutral
as before.  I will restart the discussion, keeping the GNOME and KDE people in
the loop, in order to do what the bug title asks for: soften the wording
recommending menu files.  I hope that it will not be necessary to bother the
TC.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy