Re: Abusive and obnoxious behavior

On Martes, 25 de septiembre de 2012 17:37:28 Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I’ve just read Ian Jackson’s latest proposal:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2012/09/msg00040.html
>
> So it turns out he:
>       * assessed that the CTTE’s decision was not implemented correctly,
>         irregardless of the position of people actually interested by
>         the initial request (Noel David Torres Taño and Adam Borowski);
>       * used his position in the CTTE to immediately suggest a decision
>         without even discussing first, being simultaneously requesting
>         and proposing;
>       * proposed a decision which goes far beyond the CTTE’s power,
>         being completely unrelated to the problem at hand (§6);
>       * proposed to reprimand a developer, which goes far beyond the
>         power of the CTTE;
>       * is being publicly agressive against GNOME maintainers by
>         assuming they act in bad faith, which brings unneeded tensions
>         in the project.
>
> I don’t think any of this is acceptable behavior for a DD in a position
> of responsibility. Therefore, Ian, I suggest that you resign from the
> Technical Committee.
>
> Cheers,

I would have liked staying quiet, as I am an interested party on this, but as
Josselin has fired my name, I can not.

First of all, I want to thank Josselin and all the Gnome team their effort.
Gnome has been my lifeboat since KDE4 advent.

Besides, since my position has been mentioned, I would like to make it clear:

I want to use the full Gnome desktop environment (that is, the gnome package)
without installing) N-M (that is, the network-manager package). Thus I
specifically want that some link in the gnome->gnome-core->network-manager-
gnome->network-manager is a Recommends that I can tell my system to ignore, on
purpose, and the logical one is gnome-core->network-manager-gnome

I also find that this change performed by the Gnome team (I would not point
directly to Josselin) adheres to the letter of point 7 in CTTE decision, but
the new dependency breaks both the goal I pursuit and point 3 on the CTTE
decision, which reads:

[On the situation that caused all this trouble] there is no
   longer any way to install any but the most minimal GNOME metapackage
   (gnome-session) without installing network-manager, and users who have
   gnome or gnome-core installed but have removed or never installed
   network-manager will have network-manager installed during an upgrade
   from squeeze.

This has been ignored by the Gnome team. I do not know if it has been that
they read only the decisive point (7) or they did in in bad faith. Being
Debian members, I think it has been a mixture of minding only the point 7 and
frustration (as pointed by Sam Hartman).

On that belief I think that if Gnome maintainers implement correctly the CTTE
decision on a further meta-gnome3 version (including point 3 and all the
rationale) this should not need to be a further CTTE resolution. Bug #688772
may be reassigned to Gnome team for them just to put in place the correct
dependency chain, and we can forget all this about reprimends and the such.
After all, I need to stress that Gnome maintainers, CTTE members, me, and a
*lot* of other people are *one* team, Debian, and we all should work together
in order to release Wheezy, and then to release Jessie, and then the next,
always going further to enhance all three of Debian, Free Software and our
user's experience.

Regards
Noel Torres
er Envite