Re: [Pkg-javascript-devel] Node.js and it's future in debian

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 03:07:27AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> We have until now maintained Nodejs only in unstable because requests to
> rename axnode was met with either silence or refusal with the reasoning
> that axnode was more widely used in Debian than Nodejs.

> Obviously Nodejs is not widely used in Debian when initially packaged.
> So I've simply waited until it was really sensible to make such
> comparison of popularity among the users of Debian.  Which seems to be
> the case now - even if still impaired by Nodejs only offered to our
> users of unstable and experimental Debian.

I find this response from you *very* disappointing.  It implies that you
knew that you had a responsibility to rename the Nodejs binary according to
Policy, but that rather than acting in a timely manner to persuade upstream
of the importance of renaming, you decided to wait until momentum was on
your side so that you could have an outcome in your favor.

My understanding is that Node.js is a three-year-old project, and that the
namespace issue was first raised upstream at least a year and a half ago.
We would have been in a much better position to resolve this in a manner
that does right by our existing ham community if you had lived up to your
moral obligations as a Debian developer *then* instead of letting the issue
fester.

'node' is a stupid name for a program, and this should have been impressed
upon Node.js upstream early and often.  We would have been in a position,
together with other distributions, to force a sensible upstream name.  I
believe we no longer are in a position to do so, and even if we did, the
transition now would be many times more disruptive for users than if this
had been dealt with in 2010.

> If Debian is frozen tomorrow, then Nodejs will not be part of it, for
> the very reason that I *did* respect Policy.

It may not be part of the release, but it will still be a mess for everyone
involved.