Re: draft ballot: please rule on how to implement debian/rules build-arch

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Updated patch attached.
> > +        warning(_g("%s must be updated to support the 'build-arch' and " .
> > +                   "'build-indep' targets (at least '%s' seems to be " .
> > +                   "missing)"), "@debian_rules", $buildtarget);
>
> I was wondering if we could make the emphasis here stronger to
> encourage adoption in a timely manner.  Could we maybe add an
> 0x07 (\a) in the string to make it beep, and add a sleep 15
> afterward to ensure that the warning is overly obtrusive?
> (Slightly annoying, I know, which is the intention!)

No, I'm not going to add anything like that.

> I also wonder, once the patch is in place, how aggressively we
> could push adoption in unstable.  With sufficient motivation and
> aggressive NMUs, could we get this done for wheezy and release
> with the autodetection removed?  i.e. migrate the majority of
> packages, and then have the "flag day" and fix all remaining
> packages with NMUs?

I don't believe that this would be realistic, but I'm certainly not going
to forbid you to aim for this. There will be no "flag day" but if you
manage to convince the release team that it's a worthwile realease goal,
then you can have relaxed NMU rules...

In any case, whatever progress you managed to do, I fully expect to
release dpkg with this compatibility code as users outside of Debian also
need time to transition and update.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer