Re: draft ballot: please rule on how to implement debian/rules build-arch

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 15:45:08 +0200, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
Non-text part: multipart/signed
> Discussion appears to have died out on this thread, so it doesn't appear
> anyone from the TC is waiting for more information in order to make up their
> mind and I think it's (past) time to call a vote on this.

I remain opposed to a manually-set Build-Options field, since I believe
that in any package someone is willing to touch, just implementing
proper separation of the targets is a far better solution.

I've been fixing the targets in all of my packages as I stumble over
them ever since the lintian check was added, and so far it has been easy
to do the right things.

> BTW, another option for the long-term solution which we haven't really
> addressed head-on is that dpkg-buildpackage could detect whether both
> arch-indep and arch-dep packages are present in debian/control, and use
> build-arch *only* when both are present.  This does not require either
> heuristic detection (the presence or absence of arch-indep/arch-dep packages
> is *definitional* of whether a separate build-arch rule is relevant, and
> dpkg-buildpackage already parses debian/control), or the use of redundant
> declarations (i.e, Build-Options).  Should we incorporate this into the
> ballot options?  (For the avoidance of combinatoric proliferation, I'd
> prefer to decide this question by acclamation and either incorporate it into
> all the ballot options, or not.)

I'd be willing to consider this, and would probably vote it ahead of the
make -qn options, though as in all the other cases, I'd be happier if
someone actually had a patch that implements this ready to go.

> Bearing in mind the statistics from [4] indicating that option 4) will break
> 45% of all packages with arch-dep packages, I imagine we probably don't want
> to go that route anymore.

Actually, the more of my own packages I touch and fix, the more inclined
I am to place option [4] first on my list!  Fixing source packages just
isn't that painful in practice, and I like the idea of just getting over
the policy hurdle quickly without stopgap measures.

However, of your current list of choices, I also consider the 'make -qn'
options acceptable, and would vote all options that contain the
Build-Options field alternative below further discussion.

Bdale