Re: draft ballot: please rule on how to implement debian/rules build-arch

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:32:12PM +0200, Carsten Hey wrote:
> * Steve Langasek [2011-07-23 15:45 +0200]:
> > BTW, another option for the long-term solution which we haven't really
> > addressed head-on is that dpkg-buildpackage could detect whether both
> > arch-indep and arch-dep packages are present in debian/control, and use
> > build-arch *only* when both are present.  This does not require either
> > heuristic detection (the presence or absence of arch-indep/arch-dep packages
> > is *definitional* of whether a separate build-arch rule is relevant, and
> > dpkg-buildpackage already parses debian/control), or the use of redundant
> > declarations (i.e, Build-Options).

> An other option is to release a new Debian Policy version (maybe a major
> one), including either the requirement for source packages with
> arch-indep and arch-dep packages to provide build-arch (what you
> described above), or require all packages to provide build-arch as
> target; and during a transition period, let dpkg-buildpackage use the
> Standards-Version of a package to decide whether the build-arch target
> should be used.

I would not vote such an option above FD and would expect it to be entirely
dominated by the ballot option to use a Build-Options flag instead; so I
won't include this on a proposed ballot unless another member of the TC says
this is interesting to them.

I think there is a very clear consensus in the community that the value of
the Standards-Version field should never affect the behavior of build tools.