Re: Couchdb package

Hello,
(also CCing Kartik, since he opted for co-maintainership)

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 08:06:05, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le samedi 09 janvier 2010, Sam Bisbee a écrit :
> > On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 06:19:27PM +0300, Sergei Golovan wrote:

> > Raphael, for your reference this is the discussion thread:
> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-erlang-devel/2009-November/0
> >00048.html
>
> Thanks for the pointer. But I'm with Ellioth, your arguments are not
>  convincing. Splitting a source package in two binary packages has never
>  been
> forking... and using per-user couchdb instances is supported by upstream
>  since couchdb has no code changes applied in Ubuntu to make this a
>  reality.
>
> David Paleino (cced) is going to package desktopcouch for Debian and he
> will have to solve the same problem...

In my preliminary package, I've added a dependency on couchdb-bin and,
alternatively, couchdb. According to the order, the former will be preferred
if present (say, Ubuntu), otherwise the latter will be pulled in (i.e.
Debian).

I already contacted Sergei before I received this e-mail, about the same
issue. I'd wish desktopcouch does not trigger different behaviour on the two
distributions, and the solution is having a couchdb-bin in Debian too, IMVHO.

> Please reconsider the decision or provide an alternative solution that does
>  not involve the local admin/user having to manually change the default
>  configuration to disable the system-wide daemon.

I fully agree.

Kindly,
David

--