Bug#573745: No response from official maintainer
Dear mentors, Sandro, Russ,
thank you for your replies.
On 2010/9/3 Sandro Tosi <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 21:57, Russ Allbery <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Sandro Tosi <email@example.com> writes:
>>> Sadly, this absence of reply is not something surprising me (and others
>>> I think, as also Paul discovered). This lack of communication,
>>> interest and the overcommitting of Matthias is what has made us call to
>>> the Technical Committee about Python maintainership. Given this is a
>>> perfect example of what we wanted to show, I add the TC bug in CC, to
>>> also show that situation is still going on.
>>>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/09/msg00018.html
>> A maintainer not responding quickly to a request to take over a package
>> they've uploaded themselves as recently as this February, to upload a new
>> major version of a package without any RC bugs, during a release freeze
>> (!), is not a particularly compelling example of malfeasance.
>>> Given Romain's reply is 10 days old, given Paul already pinged doko on
>>> IRC, given you contacted several times Matthias (and since several
>> The first contact about 0.8 recorded in the BTS is August 1st, which is
>> not several months (although is before the official beginning of the
> I think I misread some emails, and so Andriy only contacted (publicly)
> on August and not since April as I first understood. So clearly it's
> not "several months" but "more than one month" only.
It's true that I contacted Matthias concerning packaging v0.8 of
buildbot on August. However my first attempt contacting him ever
was on the 2nd of April. I wrote the simple patch to the issue for
the v0.7.12 which is no longer developed.
I'm using Debian for five years but I'm new to Debian community so I
cannot really understand all the factors. The facts I operated were
0) last package upload was done on February
1) no answer for bug  since April
2) new upstream release v0.8 on the 25th of May (reported in  on
27th of June)
3) my first attempt to package upstream reported in the bugtracker on
the 1st of August
On these facts I thought package(or at list it's page on BTS) is
rarely maintained. This was one of the reasons I began packaging on my
own. Because I thought "How long would it take to get the new upstream
worth upgrading to available in Debian?". Unfortunately, I didn't get
in time before freeze started and I didn't know much about Debian
release management either.
>>> and none of these generated any reply, I think you can go on and take
>>> over the package.
>> I don't agree. The new version is not eligible for squeeze regardless,
>> and it seems to me like there's some time to ask Matthias what his
>> intentions are concerning the package, whether he is interested in
>> transferring it to a new maintainer, etc.
> Given the above yes, I concur it's not yet the time for maintainer
> switch. Now, let's wait for a reply.
Thanks for your replies. I'll be glad to hear any news from Matthias.
In the meantime, if this is acceptable, I'd like to continue my work
on this package and improve my skills and knowledge about packaging
software to increase possibility of this version and it's improvements
appear in the Debian Archive.
with best regards, Andriy Senkovych