Re: foo2zjs dispute

Hi there!

Can you please keep the foo2zjs-maintainer mailing list cc:ed?  TIA.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:58:21 +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Does the package work in most cases without this script run? Ie. does it
> have enough data to work with a majority of the printers and/or is enough data
> available in other main packages?

I do not know how many printers work without the data getweb retrieves,
but IMHO this is irrelevant: if at least one print indeed does [1], then
it means that the package *can* work without external dependencies and
it deserves main.

FYI, even without the external data, you can still install the printer
in CUPS and the latter will not complain.  However, you cannot print,
not event error pages: while CUPS shows the job & Co., the printer does
not get any instruction.  At least this is what happens with the printer
I administer [2].

> Is this script only supplied as additional documentation/an example and
> not installed into the usual $PATH?

ATM getweb is installed in /usr/bin, but I was already planning to move
it to /u/s/d/foo2zjs/contrib or whatever other folder in /u/s/d/foo2zjs
is preferred.

I still need to check the following (I have not had enough time yet),
but I guess that if you have an original installation CD you could be
able to bypass getweb and pick the needed files directly from the CD.

> Is this script never run automagically by the package tools, like
> postinst?

No, this script is intended to be manually run, since it requires the
printer you want to download the data for:
=====
irlab@r-abraham:~$ getweb
You need to be root
irlab@r-abraham:~$ su
Password:
r-abraham:/home/irlab# getweb
$Id: getweb.in,v 1.77 2008/07/23 03:46:10 rick Exp $

Usage:
    ./getweb something

    Convenience script to get extra somethings from the web,
    such as ICC color profiles, firmware, PPD files, etc.
[...]

r-abraham:/home/irlab#
=====

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] which seems to be the case, at least not the printer I have [2]
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=466758#15