Re: Call for Votes (getaddrinfo)

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 09:17:02PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> We had servers that ended up with twice or three times the number of
> users than other servers in the rotation, and explaining it all away
> with "well, the network of the less loaded server simply must suck, so
> clients cannot stay connected for long" didn't work out all that well.

> Now that I read this thread this Rule 9 thing probably explains it all,
> and assuming I'm right with that there was clear, demonstrable impact.

Do you know when this was? The only data for other OSes we've seen [0]
seems to indicate that most of them don't actually use rule9. Unless
we can assume Debian and Ubuntu users made up a significant proportion
of OFTC users, and that the versions of Debian and Ubuntu in use at the
time implemented rule9.

 [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2007/09/msg00049.html

> In the end OFTC decided to move more intelligence into the nameservers
> and we now have geolocating, load balancing DNS*, courtesy of Luca.

Intelligent load-balancing from the DNS server makes rule9 fairly
redundant of course.

TBH, from the anecdotes I've heard, both here and in relation to
mirrors.kernel.org, I have a nasty suspicion that there's some other
behaviour being implemented by either Windows hosts or some common DNS
proxies that re-orders DNS addresses in a non-rule9 manner, but with
similar or worse resulting biasses.

Cheers,
aj