libconfig name clash

Package: tech-ctte
Severity: normal

Hi,

The current problem is simple. I did an ITP of libconfig[1], a simple
and efficient C/C++ library for parsing configuration file.
This library is written by Mark Linder, and is well maintained.

Filling the ITP, I knew there was already libconfig in Debian. So I
asked Abraham vd Merwe <abz@debian.org> who is the current maintainer of
libconfig if he can rename or remove its package.

He responded negatively.
And I do think this package should be removed from Debian.

My arguments are the following: abz's libconfig is old, non used
(no reverse-dependencies) and has only 40 installs according to popcon[2].
Furthermore, it's packaged as a native Debian package and does not seems
to be distributed anywhere. I don't see the point to have a "personnal"
package which is not used apart from its Debian-maintainer-author in
the archive, and blocking packaging of better and maintained software.

I asked for suggestions on the debian-devel list[3], without many help
apart renaming the library, which is a mess and does not seems a very
good idea.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/438683
[2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=libconfig
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/08/msg00933.html