Re: Processed: destruction of round-robin functionality is fucking up our mirrors and making Debian suck for many people, hence fixing this is a release-critical "wish"

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 06:28:39PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 03:45:37AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > After around 11 hours, we've had:
> > * villa 4.29 MB/s
> > * lobos 3.91 MB/s
> > * steffani 14.86 MB/s
>
> The rule9 prediction was:
> [...]
> Anyway, hope that's of some use.

Thanks for doing that.

FWIW, the last reading is:
* villa 5.33 MB/s
* lobos 4.92 MB/s
* steffani 14.58 MB/s

Anyway, in light of all this, please comment again on those old conclusions:

> Which leaves as conclusions:
>   - there's no available evidence of a problem from Debian server logs

This should be fixed now, for security.d.o at least.

I can go ask people maintaining servers in the other rotations for data
if you think it's necessary, but it'll take some time.

>   - the understanding of the issue we've got so far implies that this
>     would only cause fairly minor load balancing problems for the current
>     Debian hosts

This disparity doesn't classify as a minor load balancing problem when we
see one "third" of a rotation doing more than twice as much as other two
"thirds".

It has been hard enough to get people to volunteer their sites into popular
round-robins when we would promise they'd get a fair share of traffic...

>   - ftp.us, http.us and security.d.o all seem to still be functioning
>     from a user's perspective

They are functioning now, but the higher the probability that we'll burden
some sites with excess traffic, the higher the probability that the quality
of service will suffer, and higher the probability that those sites will
drop out of the rotation, and then others can start getting unexpectedly
large amounts of traffic (after redistribution), then they might drop out,
and then rinse & repeat...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.