Re: Call for Votes (getaddrinfo)

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 08:08:06PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes ("Call for Votes (getaddrinfo)"):
> >  -8<-
> >
> >  1. RFC3484 s6 rule 9 should not be applied to IPv4 addresses
> >     by Debian systems, and we DO overrule the maintainer.
> >  2. RFC3484 s6 rule 9 should not be applied to IPv6 addresses
> >     by Debian systems.  We do NOT overrule the maintainer.
> >  3. We recommend to the IETF that RFC3484 s6 rule 9 should be
> >     abolished for IPv4, and that it should be reconsidered for IPv6.
> >
> >  -8<-
> >
> >  [ ] Choice X: Do not use rule 9, overrule maintainer, etc., as above.
> >  [ ] Choice S: Sort IPv4 addrs according to rule 9 in getaddrinfo
> >  [ ] Choice M: Leave the choice up to the maintainers.
> >  [ ] Choice F: Further discussion
>
> The following people appear to me to have voted as follows, within the
> 7-day period, which has just expired:
>
> 	X F S M		Ian, Manoj
> 	X F M S		Andi
> 	M F		AJ
>
> F defeats S by 4:0, so S is eliminated.
> F defeats M by 3:1, so M is eliminated.
>
> The remaining non-default option is X.  It has a 3:1 supermajority
> requirement.  X defeats F by 3:1, which is exactly sufficient.

I may wish this was true, but when reading the constitution again, I'm
not sure at all we have a 3:1 ratio.

It says:
    3. Any (non-default) option which does not defeat the default
       option by its required majority ratio is dropped from
       consideration.
         1. Given two options A and B, V(A,B) is the number of
            voters who prefer option A over option B.
         2. An option A defeats the default option D by a majority
            ratio N, if V(A,D) is strictly greater than N * V(D,A).
         3. If a supermajority of S:1 is required for A, its majority
	    ratio is S; otherwise, its majority ratio is 1.

V(X,F) seem to be 2, V(F,X) seem to be 1, or a ratio of
2:1.

So if 1 person ranks X below F, you need *4* people to
rank option X above F.

Kurt