Re: Old tech-ctte bugs

Anthony Towns writes ("Old tech-ctte bugs"):
>   * #429671: exim4 username
>   * #436093: Please decide on the "ownership" of the developers reference
>   * #439006: tech-ctte: Efika and sony PS3 patches in linux-2.6
>
> They're all requests for dispute resolution, though 429671 also
> includes a request from the exim4 maintainer for a "final decision"
> on namespacing policy for packages that need usernames from the package
> maintainer. They're all between three and five months old.
>
> I think it's better to send a response to the submitter and maintainers
> involved than just leave them hanging; so unless someone on the ctte
> thinks there's something that warrants ctte's review in any of those
> reports and wants to take ownership of making that happen over the next
> week or so, I'll close them under the assumption we're going to let the
> maintainers' decisions stand, at least for the forseeable future.

Please do not do that.

> (If you do want to take ownership of one, tagging it confirmed seems
> a useful way to distinguish reports that the ctte hasn't indicated an
> interest in. Please don't take ownership of something and let it just
> continue to sit there, at least an independent analysis for the rest of
> us would be a good start...)

As you may be aware, my lifestyle has changed somewhat and I have a
good deal more time to deal with this kind of thing than I used to.

I plan to take an ongoing interest in all decisions which are referred
to the TC and left undone.  We currently have enough decisions on our
plate awaiting disposal but we should get on with the others and I
will see to it that we deal with them.

I have to say though that we aren't going to be able to do our job if
we spend all of our time doing things like:

 * Voting Further Discussion and then not discussing the matter
 * Arguing about the detailed contents of rationales rather than
   about the substance of our ruling
 * Arguing about whether to deal with things rather than
   dealing with them
 * Failing to vote at all