Re: ndiswrapper

* Raul Miller (moth.debian@gmail.com) [060911 18:30]:
> We have a release critical bug filed against ndiswrapper.
>
> More specifically, bug 353277 is severity critical, stipulating that
> ndiswrapper be in contrib, not in main.
>
> Here's the definition of "Severity: Serious" from bugs.debian.org: "is
> a severe violation of Debian policy (roughly, it violates a "must" or
> "required" directive), ..."
>
> So, an obvious question is: what does Debian policy say about contrib?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-contrib

Actually, the definition refers to
http://release.debian.org/etch_rc_policy.txt as what serious is. This
defines as:

2. Dependencies

        Packages in main cannot require any software outside of main
        for execution or compilation.
        "Recommends:" lines do not count as requirements.

Given these statements, I fail in seeing this bug as serious on the
package. (Of course, the situation might change after TC ruling.)

> So, I'd like to propose that we issue an opinion that ndiswrapper
> needs to be in contrib, to comply with debian policy.

What do you want? Issue an opinion or overrule the maintainer? My
understanding is that the first doesn't change anything.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/