Re: Tech ctte tweaks

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 03:22:44PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > (3) Advisory opinions from the chair
> > > So I propose we establish that our procedure in addressing issues is
> > > for the chair to quickly issue an initial opinion; and to only vote on
> > > issues when an official ruling is needed (eg, to overrule a maintainer)
> > > or when members of the tech ctte disagree.
> > Is there a fixed period in which tech ctte members should be expected to
> > comment if they disagree?

> Presumably we can expect any additional comments from other members
> within a few days or a week; but you'd need to ask for a vote before it
> should be taken as absolutely definitive, I'd think.

So to what extent will such a provisional statement from the chair meet the
needs of someone who would be seeking tech-ctte guidance, then?  It seems to
me that a vote will almost invariably be needed to satisfy the petitioner;
otherwise, why take the issue to the tech-ctte at all instead of just
soliciting opinions on -devel or some other list?