Re: md5sum <FILE produces spurious ` -' in output

Scott James Remnant writes ("Re: md5sum <FILE produces spurious ` -' in output"):
> [I am not subscribed to debian-ctte, please Cc: me if you feel your
>  reply deserves my attention.]
> My personal feeling is that is what should change; /usr/bin/md5sum
> should be provided by the GNU coreutils package with dpkg either using
> that or its own version it can place somewhere else.

I agree that this seems reasonable, but it's not the question at
issue.

> This bug would then become owned by the coreutils package, and be
> discussed there and with upstream where the suggested behaviour would
> reach a far wider audience.

My point (well, one of my points) is that the Debian maintainer should
not be unwilling to make a correct change in the Debian patch merely
because they feel that if the change is good it should also go
upstream.

My arguments about what md5sum should do don't depend on which Debian
package it is provided by, nor on whether it is in Debian's version of
a GNU upstream package or a Debian-specific package.