Re: release policy

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:17:23 -0400, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> said:

> Attached, below, is AJ's release critical policy, in the context of
> sarge.

> I'm thinking we should ratify it, as is.  As soon as possible.

	I think we should edit the bit about dfsg freeness "may"
	become a policy post sarge bit:

>> 1. DFSG-freeness

>> 	Code in main and contrib must meet the DFSG, both in .debs and
>> 	in the source (including the .orig.tar.gz).

>> 	Documentation in main and contrib must be freely
>> 	distributable, and wherever possible should be under a
>> 	DFSG-free license. This will likely become a requirement
>> 	post-sarge.

	That last sentence should not be ratified as such by the tech
 ctte, given the last two GR's.  As it stands, it is not merely
 "likely".

	"This will be a hard requirement when SC 1.1 becomes effective
 post Sarge"

	Apart from that, it is an excellent document.

> I'm thinking we should ratify a changed document [which is more
> restrictive on DFSG issues] for releases following sarge.

	The Social contract (v1.1) is pretty authoritative, no? What
 do you have in mind?

	manoj

--
"Of course, someone who knows more about this will correct me if I'm
wrong, and someone who knows less will correct me if I'm right." David