Re: debian-ctte mailing list and spam

[debian-admin Cc removed per elmo's comments]

* Raul Miller (moth@debian.org) wrote:
> Personally, I think we need a better heuristic.

There are other heuristics in place to fight SPAM on the Debian lists
already.  I'm on quite a few of them and I see an occational SPAM, but
not much, really.  I've also got my own spam-filtering in place, of
course, which I imagine also helps.  I don't think it'd be a problem if
the tech committee uses similar methods.  Given that it's a committee
I'd expect that even if a message gets misclassified by SPAM for one
member it probably wouldn't be for others and the issue would eventually
be noticed by all by replies and whatnot.

> My ideal would be a combination of:
>
>   If the email is signed by some pgp key that we can validate, it's OK.
>
>   Otherwise, send the user some token (with polite and informative
>   instructions) and if they respond with that token to some control
>   address within a week, forward the message to the list.
>
> But I don't know if that's something the admin team is comfortable with.

Personally I see this as a *terrible* idea.  What might be at least
slightly closer to reasonable would be to open up the list, like ALL OF
THE OTHER DEBIAN LISTS, but then say "Look, SPAM sucks and this
committee is important and stuff so we guarentee any message signed by
someone in the Debian keyring will get to the committee".

	Stephen