Re: md5sum <FILE produces spurious ` -' in output

Hi,

Raul Miller:
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:32:24AM -0700, Guy Maor wrote:
> > I agree that the version without the - is more useful, but I'm not
> > completely convinced that the coreutils maintainer should change it.
>
> If it's already been changed several times, then I see no
> reason why it should not be changed.

IMHO:

$ echo foo | wc -l
1
$ echo foo | wc -l -
1 -
$

OK, so that makes sense. Ditto /bin/cat, et al.

$ echo foo | md5sum
d3b07384d113edec49eaa6238ad5ff00  -
$ echo foo | md5sum -
-: No such file or directory
$

That, however, does *not* make sense. Thus, since there are no
compatibility issues (as there already *is* a mess), it should be
changed.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de