On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:36:02 -0400, Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:15:01AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> Dear technical ctte, if you are able to come to a conclusion on
>> this topic, please make a decision as to whether the social
>> contract requires non-free documentation, firmware, etc to be
>> removed from main before release.

> So...

> What are the technical criteria of relevance on this issue?

> At first blush there are several conflicts:

> * between various interpretations of the old social contract

> * between old social contract vs. new social contract

> * between 100% free software vs. timely release

> * between release discipline vs. the latest and greatest.

> Also -- in part because our current BTS doesn't indicate which
> versions bugs are fixed and released in -- there's something of a
> conflict between the stablity of "the most recent version" where
> bugs are "fixed" and "the stable version" where only herculean
> efforts make bug fixes available.

> As usual, none of the options* we're faced with are particularly
> appealing, but this ambiguity about what problem we're actually
> trying to resolve is also troubling.

> [*Obvious options: (1) delay release significantly or (2) approve
> something contrary to the current social contract and contrary to
> some interpretations of the previous social contract.]

	Well, at this point, I do not see any non obvious options.  As
 things stand, I do think all non-free bits need to be removed;
 leading to (1); or a new GR is proposed (I do not think we can just
 overturn the SC requirements by fiat, but I am willing to be
 convinced otherwise).

	manoj
--
Fun Facts, #63: The name California was given to the state by Spanish
conquistadores. It was the name of an imaginary island, a paradise on