Re: Referring bug #166718 and the initial groups issue to the TC

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:19:42PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Agreed.  Traditionally, however, Unix has not been in the practice of
> being easy to use.  We should be careful, not hidebound.

That depends.

Once upon a time, security wasn't much of an issue, and ease of use for
the casual user was a significant priority.

Of course, at that time, the casual user community was mostly developers
and computer science academics, and we're still fighting a few battles
to close security holes which were left open from back then.

[I'm thinking of stuff like sendmail wizard mode, internet protocols,
and fixed length buffers.]

--
Raul