Re: policies for access to local resources

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:38:04PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> This is largely orthogonal to the current issue, but it would be nice if
> d-i had a 'select machine type' option where people could select between
> 'private machine on private network', 'shared machine with trusted
> users', 'shared machine with untrusted users', 'server' or something
> similar which would affect:
>
> * default firewall (block/allow all incoming connections)
> * package selection (do/don't install pam_console for example)

After thinking about this a bit more, a useful implementation would
have to address a number of things (what happens when the option is
changed? How does a user tune this kind of policy?) all focused around
the user learning more about what they want to do.

I don't think a simple install time option would be adequate, though we
probably do need something like this.

--
Raul