Re: Technical Committee web page

I asked about creating a web page for the Technical Committee, and
Josip Rodin said:
> Basically you just need to create content, you can let us web types worry
> about the implementation details :)

So, please find enclosed a .wml file for the website.  I'm not really
familiar with all the relevant conventions, so please feel free to do
any necessary editing.

Thanks,
Ian.

#use wml::debian::template title="Debian Techical Committee"
# $Id: $

href="../constitution">Debian Constitution</a>, section 6.  It is the
body which makes the final decision on technical disputes in the
Debian project.

<h2>How to refer a question to the committee</h2>

<ol>
<li>Before referring a decision to the Technical Committee, you should try
to resolve it yourself.  Engage in a constructive discussion and try
to understand the other person's point of view.  If, after discussion,
you've identified a technical question which you can't agree on, you
can put it to the committee:

<li>Write up a summary of the disagreement, preferably agreeing it with
your opponent, and send it to the bug tracking system.  Reassign the
bug report to the pseudo-package <tt>tech-ctte</tt>.  If there is no
bug for the dispute yet, file one.

<li>The committee will discuss your question on the committee mailing
list,
We will not CC all of our discussion to the bug report, though we may
CC the participants.  Anyone else who wishes to do so may subscribe to
the debian-ctte mailing list and see our deliberations.

<li>Normally, the committee will aim to make a decision within 4
weeks.

<li>Sometimes, one side or other is convinced, during the committee's
deliberations, by the merit of the other side's arguments.  This is a
good thing !  If it happens, the committee need not make a
formal decision, and bug report can be closed, or reassigned, as
appropriate.
</ol>

<h3>Some caveats about contacting the committee</h3>

<ul>
<li>A sound and vigorous debate is important to ensure that all the
aspects of an issue are fully explored.  When discussing technical
questions with other developers you should be ready to be challenged.
You should also be prepared to be convinced !  There is no shame in
seeing the merit of good arguments.

<li>Please conduct your technical discussions with other maintainers
in a calm and civilised way; do not use insults, or question their
competence.  Instead, address yourself to your opponents' arguments.

<li>The committee is only empowered to make technical decisions.  If
you feel that someone has been misbehaving, the committee probably
can't help you much.  You may wish to talk to the Project Leader,
<tt>leader@debian.org</tt>.
</ul>

<h2>Membership</h2>

The current members of the committee are:
<ul>
<li>Wichert Akkerman
<li>Bdale Garbee
<li>Jason Gunthorpe
<li>Ian Jackson (chairman)
<li>Guy Maor
<li>Raul Miller
<li>Dale Scheetz
<li>Manoj Srivastava
</ul>

<h2>Archives and status</h2>

The

can be reviewed in the bug tracking system.

<h3>Formal technical decisions</h3>

NB that decisions from before the 1st of April 2002 are not yet
recorded here, and there have not yet been any since then.

<h3>Formal recommendations and opinions</h3>

The committee has not yet issued any non-binding recommendations or
opinions.

<h3>Formal nontechnical and procedural decisions</h3>

<ul>

<li>2002-01-31 Appointed Ian Jackson as chairman, following Raul's
resignation from the post.  (In favour: Dale Ian Manoj Raul Wichert;
none against or abstaining.)

</ul>

NB that decisions from before the 31st of January 2002 are not yet
recorded here.