Re: Processed: yawn

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> I'm willing to recognize the decision of the Technical
 Branden> Committee as binding if Anthony is.  Is a vote in the works?

	I'll let other memebers of the ctte take some time to respond
 to my opinions.

 Branden> This issue to my mind is what degree of discretion a package
 Branden> maintainer is permitted to exercise over the bugs assigned
 Branden> to his package.  In the past, the amount of discretion
 Branden> afforded the package maintainer was greater.  I have been in
 Branden> disputes over bug severity with package maintainers before
 Branden> -- as the submitter and in the past the package maintainer's
 Branden> discretion has been regarded as sacrosanct, or nearly so.

	The current matter is being treated as a technical dispute
 between two developers; and in cases like this, no general rule ("The
 person who invokes the ctte is always right", or "The maintainer is
 always right") make sense.  Bug severities are a technical, though
 sometimes subjective, decisions; and the severity ought to be decided
 on the technical merits, on a case by case basis.

	I am hoping that these disputes are rare, and can in most
 cases be resolved amicably, or at least following adjudication by the
 tech ctte. I would rather not set down rules of enforcement until we
 are sure we actually need to (at least, wearing my ctte hat).

	manoj
--
 For certain people, after fifty, litigation takes the place of
 sex. Gore Vidal