Open Source Voice Over IP software from www.vovida.org

Hi,

I have a proposal for Debian Linux to add great value to its distribution by
including VOCAL software for zero additional cost to Debian.

VOCAL is an open source software which enables ISPs, ASPs, Telecom service
providers, system administrators to provide SIP (Session Initiation
Protocol) based voice services over an IP network or internet. For more info
on SIP please refer: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip

System admins using Debian can quickly set up an IP PBX phone system using
VOCAL with SIP end points and SIP PSTN gateway.  We have an internal trial
system which runs the free VOCAL software 24x7.  For e.g. MSN-4.6 talks SIP
to communicate. VOCAL interoperates with MSN-4.6 SIP software.

VOCAL software is available from www.vovida.org. It utilizes an OSI approved
"BSD-style" license, The Vovida Software License
(http://www.vovida.org/About/license.html), which allows you to use the code
and binaries for your developmental or commercial purposes. There is no cost
or charge for using Vovida code.

VOCAL servers are  scalable and highly distributed implemented using C++ and
Java for GUI.  VOCAL can be downloaded and installed quickly on a single
Linux box. VOCAL is tested with Cisco 7960 SIP phones, Cisco ATA-186 and
Cisco AS-5300 PSTN gateways.

VOCAL comes with a best effort mailing list support.
VOCAL has over 1000 mailing lists subscribers.  VOCAL has a lots of
potential and is quite stable as an open source project.  For the last 12
months we have over 300,000 hits to our site.

Thought you might be interested in the following information:

VOCAL url: www.vovida.org

A Cisco's press release which talks about VOCAL:
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/prod_110101.html

A example demonstration of VOCAL:
http://www.vovida.org/shows/VOCAL_demo.html

VOCAL License: http://www.vovida.com/About/license.html

VOCAL Documents: http://www.vovida.com/document/applications.html

VOCAL scalability test: http://www.vovida.org/document/pdf/perfNumber.pdf

European Public Network Operators Recommends VOCAL(PNOs):
http://www.eurescom.de/~pub-deliverables/P1000-series/P1044/D1/p1044d1.pdf

Would you be interested to include VOCAL in your Debian distribution?

Let me know if you have any questions on VOCAL which I can answer.

Thanks

Regards,
Raghavan Kripakaran
408.428.3008 (Cisco 7960 SIP phone on my desk, powered by VOCAL and AS5300
gateway)
408.527.4732