Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 10:42:16AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Branden, can you explain why this isn't a satisfactory solution for you?

Raul has contacted Larry Wall and we're going to be able to put a
band-aid on the offending code.  It can be removed next time a new
upstream release is made.  In short, the need to change my .orig.tar.gz
has been lifted.

What I object to is the combination of the following:
1) Package maintainers being forced to modify .orig.tar.gz's by Policy;
2) Package maintainers being forced to rename .orig.tar.gz's when they
are modified;

If only one of the above restrictions (it doesn't matter to me which
one, but for practical reasons we need the first rule more because of
the imposition of circumstances beyond our control, like license
problems) were in force, I wouldn't have a problem.

However, since the archive maintainers are adamant that the technical
problem at issue be rectified by legislation rather than code, and since
the Technical Committee agrees, there seems to be little point in
continuing to argue.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a growing closer.  It beats the