Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

branden@debian.org (Branden Robinson) writes:

> Sounds like that makes it unanimous against me.

Nope.  I actually disagree with the ftp admins on this one.  I tried sending
some comments out last night, not sure where they went... perhaps I mis-
addressed the message or something.  I'm away from home, and it was late
after a long day.

I believe that we must have the ability to remove an orig.tar.gz and all
derived objects from the archive under certain circumstances which have
already been articulated by others.  If the current toolset doesn't support
that, it should be fixed.

Once an existing orig.tar.gz and all derived objects have been purged, I can
see no technical reason to require that a new upload use different filenames.

Since all of the tools that we use and care about that involve orig.tar.gz
files check md5sums, and since the lamest mirroring tool I know of uses
filename and modification date as the test for whether to copy something, I
really can't see any negative side effects to allowing a replacement package
to be uploaded with the same filenames after a purge has occurred.

Having said all that...

Uploading a new orig.tar.gz with a tweaked upstream version number clearly
isn't onerous.  While it should not be necessary, if the current archive
management toolset can't do the right things, were I Branden I'd get on with
uploading an orig.tar.gz with new filename and move on to the next issue.

Bdale