Re: request for Technical Committee ruling on Bug #109436

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 08:45:56AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Don't change the original, change the Debian version and propogate the
> change in the diff. When the current CVS is actually released, then your
> "patch" will have been "accepted upstream" and life goes on.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work because we'd still have non-DFSG code
in the .orig.tar.gz.  Somebody, I think it has been the archive
maintainer in the past, has consistently ruled that using the .diff.gz
to dike out non-free code is an inadequate solution, because we're still
distributing it inside the .orig.tar.gz.  I agree with that logic, FWIW.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I